Pages

Monday, December 28, 2020

Made From Scratch Corn Casserole 2020

A photo of the only piece to survive until publishing
I'm down a can of creamed corn, and a box of Jiffy Mix. Christmas dinner is just around the corner, I'm having one of the best Christmas mornings, like ever, so I'm not leaving for supplies. I have to make the corn casserole, it just isn't acceptable to not do that, everyone loves this stuff, what am I gonna do? I do my google thing, and figure out that you can in fact make creamed corn from scratch, and what's more, you can pull it off without the heavy cream. Which of course I don't have.... because... why would I?  I remember seeing a recipe for a copy cat Jiffy Mix recipe previously, so I think we're in business.

See the 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole Recipe Here

See the Creamed Corn Recipe Here

See the Jiffy Mix Copy Cat Recipe Here

If you take a good look at the original creamed corn recipe above, you may notice that they are essentially making a white gravy from the milk and adding in cooked corn and a bit of sugar and spice to finish it up. I modified this a little bit by using canned corn and since I'm going into the casserole I can just add the second can of sweet corn at the same time. That's two ingredients of 5 down, next we need the sour cream and butter which I have. Last but not least is the copy cat Jiffy mix, and since those are all dry ingredients, they will go in last. 

Here's the plan, we make the basic white gravy on the stovetop, while we are heating two cans of sweet corn, in the canned juices, in the microwave for about 5 minutes. When the corn is done, drain it. Add the corn, gravy, sour cream, and melted butter into a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Separately whisk the copy cat Jiffy Mix dry ingredients together until well combined. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until well combined. Pour the whole lot of it into a greased 8 x 8 inch casserole dish. Place in a preheated 350 F (~175 C) oven for about an hour, or until the center has firmly set. I was a bit skeptical at first with this being a cobbled together version of my original I am so well known for, at least in my circles. Also, this mixture was noticeably different in color from the original 5 ingredient recipe, this was very white, like milk going into the oven. However, as this came out of the oven, it was golden brown and the edges had pulled away from the dish perfectly. Upon tasting this recipe, it is a solid 10, totally worth the extra effort. Come to think of it, the extra effort was really just the making of gravy and measuring dry ingredients...


The Shepard Experience Corn Casserole Recipe

Step 1 - Prepare the "cream" for the creamed corn

3 tablespoons butter (I use Member's Mark Salted Sweet Cream Butter USDA Grade AA)

3 tablespoons flour (I use Pillsbury Best Bread Flour Enriched)

2 cups of milk (I use Horizon Organic Vitamin D Whole Milk with DHA OMEGA-3)

1/2 teaspoon pepper (I use Member's Mark Restaurant Grind Black Pepper)

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in the flour until you get a smooth mixture. Add the milk to this mixture and whisk vigorously until combined. Boil this mixture to thicken, stirring frequently. Once a gravy consistency is reached, transfer to mixing bowl.


Step 2 - Combine remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly

2 cans sweet corn (I use Del Monte Fresh Cut Golden Sweet Whole Kernel Corn)

2/3 cup of flour (I use Pillsbury Best Bread Flour Enriched)

1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal (I use Aunt Jemima Yellow Corn Meal)

1/2 cup granulated sugar (I use Zulka Morena Pure Cane Sugar)

1 tablespoon of baking powder (I use Hearth Club Double Acting Baking Powder by Clabber Girl)

1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Morton Iodized Salt)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use Pure Wesson Vegetable Oil)

Open two cans of sweet corn, and pour the corn and canning juices into a microwave safe bowl. Place bowl in microwave and heat for about 5 minutes. Once heated, drain the canning juices from the corn and add to the mixing bowl with the "cream" or gravy. In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients using a whisk. Then add to the mixing bowl with the corn and "cream", add the vegetable oil, and mix until well combined. Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 inch casserole dish and place into a preheated 350 F (~175 C) oven for about an hour or until the center is set firmly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Most Popular Posts